Sunday, December 27, 2009

I want to get more women and girls playing golf in my area...any advice on how to promote women's golf? ?

I live in Alabama so the focus here is on football. I would love to get more women and girls involved in the sport. What would you ladies look for when trying to decide where to play golf or purchase a golf membership? Guys what do you think can be done to get more women into golf since it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment? Thanks to all real and thoughtful answers!I want to get more women and girls playing golf in my area...any advice on how to promote women's golf? ?
I have worked in golf much of my life, and worked a lot with juniors. The way I see it, women (and girls) want to play golf, but they don't want to be the only female there. Especially at the junior level. We would see boys come down to the club, on their own, knowing there would be other boys to play with when they got there. But the girls would not come down on their own, for fear of there being no other girls to play with. And thus it is a self fulfilling prophecy.





One of my (female) students in Vancouver came up with a great idea, and it has really taken off. It is essentially a 'virtual'; golf club for women, that centres on a website (http://www.golfforegals.com/) where women can register for women-only events at a variety of golf courses. They go to the event knowing they won't get paired up with 3 male truck drivers (no offence to truck drivers of course) when they play. If you check out the Golf Fore Gals website you may get some more ideas. Hope this helps.I want to get more women and girls playing golf in my area...any advice on how to promote women's golf? ?
One course where I play has clinics for women only. Quite a few women showed up to the ones that I went to. This gives the ladies to meet other ladies who like to play golf.





I have a complaint about one of the instructors though. He went on and on about trajectory instead of showing us he just talked. He talked about the loft of the wedges that he carries and finished it with ';but women don't carry wedges with that type of loft';. That was a big waste of time for us and then we ran over and didn't get to finish the clinic. Be sure to keep everything geared to women golfers.
I think if you find a female golf pro in your area who may be willing to offer group lessons, that might increase interest. We offered 6 half hour group lessons in our church and it increased the number of women in our church that now play more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment