Thursday, December 31, 2009

Breastfeeding for Bigger breasted women..Advice?

I am 5 4 and 148 lbs being pregnant.


I have always been of Normal size and active. However i have been ';horribly blessed'; with 32DD breast and there getting bigger everyday.


I plan on nursing but I wonder how difficult it will be. My breast are bigger then the baby itself. Any advice.?Breastfeeding for Bigger breasted women..Advice?
Well, I don't know what it is like for smaller breasted women to nurse since I, too, have been blessed with DDD's. I can't say if it is harder or not. It was odd at first to see that my breast was bigger than my babe's head, but I got past that quickly.





The hardest part was latching on at first. The nipple seemed too big for the baby's mouth, but the baby's all got the hang of it eventually.





I found that I needed to support my breasts. A folded receiving blanket propped underneath helped. The baby usually needed to be supported on a pillow. I also lay down a lot to feed. The breast rests on the bed, one arm under your head, the other free to touch your baby.





A good supportive bra is essential. Don't skimp-- get a couple of good ones. I did not wear one at night, but I know some women do. Your shoulders probably hurt already from the extra weight and will hurt even more once you are carrying fully loaded 'udders' and a baby.Breastfeeding for Bigger breasted women..Advice?
I will be honest it was very hard. My 34DD's went up to a 36G while breastfeeding. It is hard to breastfeed when your boobs are bigger than the baby. Don't let any little-boobed mommy tell you differently lol. I always had to be in a specific chair, with a boppy pillow to support the baby. I needed one hard to pinch the nipple so she could latch on, and the other hand to pull the rest of the boob back so it wouldn't smother her. I used to get so jealous of my friends who would do things like read, or type on the computer, or knit while breastfeeding. Shoot if I wanted to itch my nose I would bend over and rub it on the table because I didn't want to lose my baby's latch. And public breastfeeding for me was just out of the question because there was just no way to be discreet about it. But it is possible to be successful at it. I would plan to have help from the lactation consultant to help you find a position that you are comfortable in.
I've got DD's, and have had no problem nursing either of my boys. When my 1st son was born, my husband used to love joking about my breasts being bigger than the baby's head. I used to worry that I would smother them while they ate because their little noses would be pressed against my breast, but in 13 months of nursing the 1st, and 4 1/2 months %26amp; counting with the 2nd one, I still have two very healthy, well nourished little boys. From my experience, we larger breasted women have no more difficulty than our flatter counter parts in breast feeding. Everyone fears that they won't be able to do it though. Flat chested women are afraid that they wont produce enough milk becuase their breasts are too small. All breasts of all sizes are perfectely equipped to nurture a baby.





EDIT: Be sure to get really good bras. This is not the area to skimp. Also make sure you get a sleeping bra. I'm able to nurse in any position (laying down %26amp; all holds) comfortably %26amp; easily, and I can knit, read, and be on my computer while nursing.
I am so glad to see that other women have struggled with this - I thought it was just me!





I have 38 DD's, so they're not huge, but definitely bigger than a newborn's head! My babies never had trouble latching on, but for the most part, I have to always have one hand under my breast to keep the weight from pulling it out of the babies mouth, and then my thumb on top to keep their nostrils clear. My daughter (14 weeks) sometimes doesn't take so big a ';bite'; so she is able to breathe without my assistance.





I have yet to master the art of nursing while lying down, but I did buy a nice cover that allows me to nurse in public without flashing anyone!
The bigger your breast, the easier it will be. My breasts got huge during pregnancy and once my milk came in, my stomach disappeared and my breasts got scary huge. I had so much milk that I would have huge letdowns in the middle of the night and wet the bed and i had to sleep with a bra on 1/2 the time. A good bra will make a world of difference to you and I would recomend motherhood maternity store. It was a lot more afforable and they had a lot of comfortable nighttime bras that I coudln't have doen without. They also sold nusring pads and lilly pads as well
My breasts are a 40J so I know what it is like to breastfeed and have the big ones. I suggest to you, get a boppy. Use the ';C'; and use the football hold a lot. Now that my daughter is 8 and half months old, I can no longer do the football hold but she likes to sit up on my lap and nurse that way. Nursing came naturally to me. She latched on with no trouble and I had no pain. Except for the tenderness you feel in the beginning. The lactation consultant was very surprised that I was having no trouble with nursing at all. I love breastfeeding and my big breasts don't get in my way anymore. I am used to them.
Well, I have large breasts, DD, and yes, it did make things a little more difficult, but mostly just at first. It was even harder on me because I have flat nipples. But, I had a great lactation consultant while in the hospital that taught me some tricks and techniques to help the latch at first.


So it may be a little more challenging at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.
I had hard time at first with nursing because I have 40 DDD breasts! The only thing I found was that certain positions made it uncomfortable for me to nurse because I was holding my son and my breast trying not to suffocate him! MY entire breast would cover his nostrils and he would come out fighting for air LOL! The cradle hold and the football hold worked well for me but I was not at all able to nurse laying down. Good luck!
I was a 32 A or a 34 B (right between) before I got pregnant. Now, I look bigger than my sister (who is overweight and like a 38 D) who even said I looked bigger.





What works for us (between huge boobs I'm unfamilar with lol and his reflux) is him sitting on my right knee, nursing from the left or left knee right boob. It helps keep his nose in the open (not smushed against the boob)
I am 15 weeks pregnant and i have size E boobs and they are still getting bigger..i have had the same question u are asking..but the doctors keep telling me that the size of the breast does not matter as long as u have a good size nipple..i know how u feel about the giant bags i cant stand them and i am scared that i am going to stay big
My sister-in-law has boobs bigger than her head and she has breastfed all 3 of her kids without a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment