Friday, April 30, 2010

Women in the marines, any advice?

I am a 26 yo female and considering joining the marines. I was looking for any advice from other women who have been down this path already. What do I need to be aware of, think about and know before joining. I also have 2 children, they can live with their grandmother during any time I am away. What issues do I need to be aware of when it comes to being a mother?





Also what jobs am I likely to be able to get? (no college, I only have a GED) What are some good paths to consider?





ANY help and advice is greatly appreciated!Women in the marines, any advice?
i was in the marines and i am a female


first of all, good luck getting in with only a GED, because they take only take so many people with that type of education in a month.


second, if you do get in, you better have thick skin.


third, it's news to me they take single mothers active duty





but if it all works out and you get in, your ASVAB score will determine your job. shoot for a MOS that will help you get a good civilian job when you get out.





good luckWomen in the marines, any advice?
MOS (jobs) is based on ASVAB score. Take the test, do well and you qualify for whatever jobs is in the bracket. Consider any easy job with little manual labor. Not trying to be rude but the Marines have sh-tty living conditions and food for almost any job with labor (my brother is in aviation eating food not fit for consumption and living in quarters not fit for living - as deemed by the US government).





As for your children, the worst thing is that children who grow up without a mother will often develop social and psychological impediments.
I am a Marine however I'm not a female so I'm not sure I can help out too much. I will tell you that as a recruiter's aide make sure they will let you DEP in with a GED. They can only sign so many contracts with GED's per year. They tend to only contract you if the GED is the only thing holding you back. If you have any medical issues or outstanding police involvement or anything, then you may run into some issues.





As far as jobs go...obviously nothing combat related. Specific jobs such as administration, intelligence or even military police are available only if you qualify. Again that is something you will have to go over with your recruiter. They will let you know what jobs you qualify for with your line scores (from the ASVAB test)





As far as for the motherhood. My help is very general. During boot camp and MOS school it is obvious that you won't see them much if at all. There is on base housing for married couples but as far as single parents I'm not too sure. It may depend on your custody of the kids. I'll check into that and email you if you'd like just to be sure. But I'm thinking that there will be some kind of issue with who will watch them while you are training or even deployed. `

No comments:

Post a Comment