Friday, January 8, 2010

Advice from women who've had more than 2 children please?

Hello everyone,


I'm expecting #3 and due Sept 30th. My questions is,when giving birth to your 3rd etc.. child does your body handle the delivery process a lot better? I tore with my first two and needed 6 stitches with my 1st and needed 3 stitches with my 2nd.


I am dreading the tear =(


I'm just wondering if some women always tear or if it just happens in the first couple of children you give birth to?





Thank you very much for your time and your answers.Advice from women who've had more than 2 children please?
I have had three all natural births with only skin tearing, no muscle tearing no stitches, with the first birth and no damage at all from 2nd and 3rd. I have a very small frame and children with 14in heads. The amount of people who are 'just bound to tear' is medically very low. Most tearing is preventable. If the muscle is strong and flexible before labor from stretching and massage during pregnancy and if counterpressure and other slow controlled delivery techniques are used to ease the skin into it and if the mother can remember to relax that muscle only pushing from above during delivery the chances of remaining intact are very high. Granted you will be working with some scar tissue which doesn't stretch as much, but you can prepare all the skin around it to stretch enough to compensate with perineal massage. Here are some links on how to do it.


http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/鈥?/a> and http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/tech鈥?/a>





I did perineal massage during my first pregnancy only, using olive oil with a few capsules of Vitamin E sqeezed into it.. It's a little uncomfortable especially at first but I did see results and during labor I wished I had done it more. Something else that I'm sure helped me was while the baby was crowning my midwife applied counterpressure to the perineum. It was frustrating at the time but the patience paid off as it allowed the muscle time to stretch and adapt. Also, listening to her on when to stop pushing if it was coming too much too quickly, more than the muscle could handle at once. Talk to your midwife, or if you're having a doctor than consider hiring a doula to help in the hospital as the doctors don't usually do anything out of their own set procedure, about implementing some of the slow controlled delivery techniques. Whatever you do DON'T let them give you an episiotomy to ';prevent tearing';. Many episiotomies reult in further tearing and cuts have a longer and more painful healing process. Good luckAdvice from women who've had more than 2 children please?
Hey there,





I had a 3rd degree tear on top of an episiotomy with my first. With my second the Doctor did perineal massage (sounds weird and uncomfortable, but during labor almost anything goes!) and it helped tremendously. I only tore a little, no episiotomy, and the healing process was faster and there was a lot less pain that time. I am only 5 weeks with my third but I plan on attempting perineal massage again with this one during labor. I really think it made a big difference the last time and I really dread tearing again, too. Good luck!
with baby number 1, I needed almost 400 stitches, and with baby number 2, it was only 2 stitches. I had c-sections for babies 3 and 4, so I don't know about the tearing after baby number 2 personally... but my sister went into labor with her 3rd, ten minutes after she got to the hospital she gave birth, not a single tear, and a half an hour later was outside. From my understanding, each time you give birth it gets easier, and you most likely won't tear... and even if you do, you'll probably need only one or two stitches... which should heal up pretty quickly.





Good luck to you, I'm sure you won't tear at all.
I guess it depends on how big your baby is, i got maybe 3 stitches with my first, it got worse with me 2nd, she was too bif she tore me real bad, didn't get any with my third, i got 2 or 3 stitches with my fourt and i'm on my fifth due on June 3rd. So i guess it depends. Hey what can i say it happens, so don't worry so much everything will be fine :)





Good Luck!
I'm expecting #4 just a month after you!!! Congrats!


By way of your question...do you deliver quickly? It seems that if you have a ';normal'; delivery, your doctor should be able to ';stretch'; you or give you an episiotomy if he thought you'd tear!


My sister delivered an almost 10 pounder in 15 minutes with no drugs...she tore all the way UP! Ouch!


It seems that your 3 stitches is better than your 6, so maybe with this one you won't need any! You do stretch with each one, so I hoping this one will be easier for you!!!


With me...I had an episiotomy with my first. Didn't need one with either of my others. I think with each one it gets easier. I would expect to tear...that way you will be pleasantly surprised if you don't! Good luck to you!
I tore with my first, didn't tare with my second and he was more then a pound bigger then my first. My third is coming in about 7 weeks, and is expected to be more then 9lbs, so I hope I don't tare. The good thing was though that they numbed me BEFORE I tore. They numbed me again with something so that I would feel the tare if I did tare. I can't remmeber what it is called. It is something that they give you down there, not in your back. It's not an epidural, just a shot. Which I could remember what it was called. If I do then I'll edit this. Good thing is the labors generally get shorter though!
I tore bad with my third... I had an episiotomy (sp) with the first two... Labor wasn't any easier with the more children I had... I screamed just as loud, kicked just as many people... and squeezed my husband's hand ';off!'; The funny thing is, when I was pushing my third daughter's head out... I screamed ';MOMMY!'; like a little kid..... I don't know where the heck that came from.... After wards, I was like '; why in the world did I scream Mommy!!???'; Kind of embarrassing... It just came out..... :) Good luck Hun!!
I have 3 and one on the way. With my first two I had to have an episiotomy, with my third no tearing and no cutting it was much easier. Every pregnancy your body endures the pregnancy gets hard to handle but the labors get easier.
I have 3 children...


The 1st one I tore a whole lot and couldn't walk for 2 weeks...


The 2nd one I tore the tiniest bit but the doc said that red heads tend to bleed more so they gave me 1 stitch...


The 3rd time I needed no stitches or anything and was barely in pain!!
I hate to say it but some women just tear. I tore with all three of mine. Although the doctor was attempting to cut me before I tore and didn't make it in time. You might ask the doctor about that. Good luck.
I have 5 children and I have had episiotomys with all except the third, I tore with that one....Good Luck!
I have 8 kids, 6 were vaginal deliveries. I didn't tear after my first. Good Luck to you.
I hope not. I will deliver #3 in October. Good Luck!
i just needed stitches with my 1st one which is odd no.1 wieghed 6'9 no.2 wieghed 7'2,go figure
  • becca
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment